0 September 11, 2001

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I was in my 8th grade English class when an announcement was made, whether it was over the intercom or directly to teachers I can't really remember, in fact up until that point I don't remember anything about that day. It was pretty insignificant. And then the TV was turned on. Plane 2 hit the second tower and all of a sudden that day was one of the most significant days in history and I can remember it like it was yesterday (so cliche and yet so very true) I remember my teachers reaction most clearly. She was pacing the front of the room pulling her short brown hair, grabbing her face in shock. Her husband worked in DC and she was frantically trying to call him. Being 13 I wasn't really sure what was going on. I didn't quite understand the impact that this event would have on us as a nation and even the world. I live about 10 min. outside Washington DC so I had a lot of classmates whos parents worked in and around the Pentagon. My mom was even working in DC that day. After that announcement was made school was no longer in session. We went from class to class watching the news. Slowly parents came to take their children home. (not my mom because apparently we were safe at school....we were like the only two kids left in the building...thanks mom!)


I remember going home and sitting at the kitchen table. It was so quiet, and not just in the house, everywhere. My brother, his friend and I played a game of Outburst. Our category was 'worlds tallest buildings' The World Trade Center was on the list. It was weird/ironic/sad. The rest of the day was filled with watching the news and seeing those planes crash into those towers over, and over again. Each and every time you wanted to warn them, wanted to tell them to get out. It was way too late.


This may come out wrong but part of me thinks it's cool to be apart of that day in history, maybe not cool, but special? I don't know the word. Obviously it was horrific. Ten years later and every time it's mentioned my eyes swell with water and my heart jumps in my throat. But to see the way Americans reacted, came together, supported one another. That was cool, special, whatever. It made our country stronger in so may ways and it makes me so proud to be an American however cheesy that may sound. To watch the ceremony today and see all those people who were directly effected and hear all those names of the people who were lost and know how much love and support they have in this entire country makes me proud and amazed.


I still can't believe it's been ten years. It's weird because Peyton will look to Sep 11 as just another page in the history books, similar to how I see Pearl Harbor. I get it but I don't get it and I don't think you ever really understand unless you are there when it happens. I'm sure some other epic and tragic event will occur in her life time and it will effect her and her generation but for me September 11 will always be the most tragic day in America's history and I will always remember what it felt like when I saw that plane crash into that second tower.


where were you when the world stopped turning?

0 Leave Some Love:

Post a Comment